Thursday, July 19, 2007

It. Is. Done.

The repair place called on Tuesday and told me my machine was ready to be picked up. I picked up the two boys and together we drove out to get it. I was glad to have it back. It wasn't until yesterday that I was able to jump back into my tote project. It wasn't easy mind you. Both of the boys were in a state of mental anguish yesterday and so there were many tears and a lot of screaming throughout the day. But I persisted. I. Had. To. Finish. My. Tote. So, without further delay...here it is (in all of it's not so perfect glory!)!!!

This is the front of the tote, otherwise known as the side I goofed up on. If you look closely at the bottom white band you'll see that it's not exactly sewn onto the black part of the bag. I decided to just make this part up. On the back side of this front are the inside pockets...so I couldn't destroy those by sewing across them. So I turned this white band into two very small, very useless pockets, unless you call a pocket specifically for two pieces of gum useful. Oh well. Sometimes gum gets lost at the bottom of a purse too...so why not have a pocket just for that purpose...to keep the gum from getting lost? I'm actually pretty brilliant.
This is the back of the tote, otherwise known as the way the front of the tote should look. I actually altered the top white band on both the front and back sides. I wanted the inside of the tote to look a bit more finished so I turned over the white band.
A picture of inside the tote. If you look closely you can see the two pockets (on the left hand side).
Another view of inside the tote- because it deserves another angle!
And lastly, a side view. So all in all I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. It's not exactly the Vera Bradley bag that I had envisioned it being, but it's a good start. The overall size of the bag was a bit larger than I had intended it to be, but it's decent. Now if I could only find some cheap and funky already quilted fabric, I'd be making a bunch more.

5 comments:

Pamela Baum said...

A job well done, Amanda! I know from first-hand experience how difficult it is to work on a project like this when there are little ones around, crying and distracting you from what you want to do! I'm very proud of you!

Laura said...

Vera Bradley: eat your heart out! This is beautiful. Well done! I don't sew, and I wish I did, because whenever I see a cute bag, I think, "I bet I could do this... but I can't!"

Thanks for swinging by and entering at my giveaway. :) Hope you win!

Lisa M said...

Amanda ~ You visited my blog to sign up for a book giveaway and I thought I'd visit your blog and say hello! I love the tote bag you made. I have never been good at sewing so I really admire people that can sew. Hope you have a nice day! Blessings,Lisa

Lauren said...

Vera Bradley= pricey
a handmade bag from the heart, with character= priceless

Great job! I will have to come back and read the whole story here.

thanks for entering my drawing!

Amy said...

Amanda! How awesome! I love the pattern AND the material you used. You rock!